Furniture Painting Tips

I am working on painting bunk beds this week.  I am painting inside and so it is taking me multiple days.  If I was patient and waited for warmer weather, I could probably have completed it in one or two days.  But patience is eluding me at the moment.  

And so.  I thought I would share a few of my tips for painting furniture.

1.  A good primer = Zinsser oil based primer.  One that works hard for you so you don't have to work hard at sanding.  yes please.

2.  A good paint brush.  Purdy brand is excellent.

3.  Floetrol.  Pour this stuff into your paint can per instructions.  It will help eliminate brush strokes for a clean finish.

4.  A foam roller.  This also is good for a nice finish.

5.  Finally--One coat of primer, sand Very lightly to get rid of any ridges/bumps, and one or two coats of paint.  Allow lots of time to dry for the paint to harden before using the piece you painted.

So far, I have the railings of the bunk beds done.  I'm hoping to get a couple of the end pieces done tomorrow and the other two done the next day.  Fingers crossed, the boys will be sleeping in their new beds by the first of next week!
What painting tips/tricks have you found to be helpful.  Or do you stick to spray paint only? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We love to read your comments on our projects. When you leave a comment it may not post immediately, but don't worry we will see it!