A Gift For Me



















This post started out as a tutorial for an infinity scarf, and somehow turned into something very different.  In between making the scarf with my daughter, and writing this post I snapped approximately 75 times, and it was at the point when I turned around and glared at my daughter in anger because she asked for food (didn't she just eat?!) that I decided it was time for a reset.  I would say everyone in my house asked me what was wrong or told me to 'relax' multiple times a day.

Don't mistake me here.  I love being a mom, and I am so thankful my husband works so hard to provide for our family so I can stay at home.  I have an awesome job, but when I get to the point where every single day drags on and I am angry for no reason, there is a problem.  For me, it's usually because I need an attitude adjustment.  Sometimes I get into these 'poor me' moods.  I grumble because I have to throw away a water bottle (why didn't the person using it, throw it away?) or I get frustrated because it is 4:00 p.m. and that means it is time to start dinner, again.

How do you reset, when you get into those moods?  In all reality, I know that picking up that empty water bottle, isn't really that big of a deal, but my attitude about picking up that water bottle needs to change.  So, what's a mama to do?  First, I changed my lock screen on my phone.

Wait, what?

Yeah, I know.  I found a Bible verse that someone had drawn, and saved the image to my phone.
You can find things like this at SheReadsTruth.com.  Since I am on my phone frequently, throughout the day, I see Colossians 3:17 often.  Are you with me?
   
Next, I took time for me.
Typically, I love to make things and I love to give those things to other people.  But today, I made something for me.  4 things actually.  I made a scarf with a hidden pocket.  I made cookies and called them Lactation Cookies so I wouldn't have to share.  I started crocheting a pair of fingerless gloves.  I have made these for 4 years and do you know how many pairs I have?  Just one.  They are the very first pair I made, and let me just say they need to retire.  I have this habit of saying I am making a pair for myself and then before I realize it, someone else has them.  Finally, I made some time for myself, so I could read.  I love reading, yet somehow in the last several months it just hasn't happened.  By the time I have a moment to sit down to read, I fall asleep.

I am so glad I took some time out for myself.  I have stopped being such a grump, and am not glaring at my daughter when she asked for simple things like a snack.  

So, dear mamas if you are grumpy all day, or seem to snap at the simplest things I would encourage you to take a break.  Memorize Colossians 3:17.  Write it somewhere you will see it often, and then, do something you enjoy.  Your family will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We love to read your comments on our projects. When you leave a comment it may not post immediately, but don't worry we will see it!