Baby Blanket


My 'due date' is quickly approaching, and I have been busy making lots of fun little things for Little Mister.  The next few weeks, I will be sharing lots of fun baby items I have been making.

I decided to forgo the typical baby style baby blanket, with the soft pale colors and go for something that fit our family a little better.  After rummaging through my fabric stash, I headed over to my box of unfinished projects and came upon a quilt top I had started several years ago.  At the time I couldn't find a good material to back the quilt top, and I was frustrated that all the squares were not perfectly lined up, so it has been sitting in a box for me to decide what to do with it.

After pulling it out, I decided this would make a perfect baby blanket for our little mister.  First, it was the perfect size.  Second, it has a masculine feel to it, without the typical baby boy colors.  This time around, I found some material for the backing, and set to work.  
Pretty much anytime I see hand-quilted work I am impressed.  It is such a tedious task.  I feel like it takes forever.  After 3 days of working on the hand quilting whenever I had the chance the quilting part was complete.

I will be the first to tell you that it is not perfect, but I would rather have a completed, usable blanket that is imperfect, rather than an incomplete, unusable blanket that won't ever see the light of day.


Do you prefer your baby blankets to be the traditional pink/pale blue/pale green?



Do you make your own baby blankets or buy them?  With my daughter, I was told I would need dozens of blankets.  I made several blankets myself and then received even more at baby showers.  I am sad to say that most of the blankets went unused.  We found our few favorites pretty quickly and stuck with them.  How many blankets do you think a new baby needs?  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We love to read your comments on our projects. When you leave a comment it may not post immediately, but don't worry we will see it!