A Felt Flower & Fabric Monogram Wreath


I made this wreath a few years ago and I hang it up towards the end of summer and keep it up until Thanksgiving.  Then it comes down and the Christmas lights go up!  Is anyone else as excited as I am for Christmas this year?  I have always loved Christmas, but it is even more fun with kids.  I love seeing everything through their eyes.

Before I get the hate mail, back to my fall wreath.  It is very easy to make.  Since I made it awhile ago--before I began blogging--the pictures will not match my finished wreath.  But I think you'll get the idea.

What you will need:
a grapevine wreath
some felt in various colors
a piece of cardboard
scrap material
glue gun
scissors





To make the monogram:

Grab a scrap piece of cardboard or the front page of a used up coloring book.  Draw your monogram and cut it out.  Lay the monogram on some scrap fabric and cut around it.






Next, start folding the material to the back of the cardboard and either hot glue it in place or use some nearby painter's tape.  For circular areas, cut slits to form triangles and that will help the material lay flat around the curved edges.





The front and back will look like this when finished.  You can then hot glue the monogram on to your wreath in the spot you prefer.





For the felt flowers:

Depending on the size of the flowers you want, cut out circles from your felt.  My circles were ~6" in diameter.  There is no need to draw a perfect circle.  Just cut it out and then cut the circle into a spiral.





Starting at the center of the spiral, start to roll it up.  It starts looking cone shaped and then when you keep going it will form a rosette.





The nice thing about felt is that it kind of sticks to itself, so you don't need to worry about it unraveling.  After you have all of  your rosettes made, hot glue the bottoms and stick them onto your wreath.  Try to stagger the colors as you fill the spot where you want the flowers to go.





Your wreath is now ready to hang!  I've used ribbon in the past, but this time I used some scrap fabric that I had.  I liked the neutral color and it seems to hold the wreath more steady when the door opens and shuts.  I also used the same trick that Ashley talked about in her wreath post.  I just hammered flat head tacks to the top of my door.  They lay flush and the door will open and close with no problems. 





And that is a super simple yet colorful fall wreath!



Well this is the end of our week of wreaths.  I hope you were inspired by one or more of the wreaths we shared with you this week.  We would love to see any wreaths that you've made lately--please feel free to post on the MamasTogether facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We love to read your comments on our projects. When you leave a comment it may not post immediately, but don't worry we will see it!