Lucy's Big Girl Room Reveal

It's done, it's done, it's done! Putting the finishing touches on this room was such a sweet moment - I've been working on it slowly for a couple months now, and I always find after putting that kind of time into something, seeing it all come together is so satisfying.


















Let's chat a little about what went into creating this room, shall we? This room, prior to becoming Lucy's new room, was serving as a guest bedroom, and before that it served its previous owners as a boy's Colts-themed room.




















The one thing they all had in common was the chalkboard paint on the bottom part of the wall. When we moved in, I thought of all of the options I had for how to change it but ultimately decided it would be fun to keep around to use for a kid's room someday. When changing from the guest bedroom to Lucy's bedroom, I decided I liked the just slightly minty color I had painted it already and started from there for my inspiration. To girl it up, I chose to add in accents of pink and gold, and then to tie in the black chalkboard wall, I punched in some black accents as well. When all was said and done, this is what I ended up with.



I've featured my gallery wall here, and the dresser redo here. Some of the other details which I created especially for this new room were the foam core deer bust, reading tent, and book sling. My mom and I were at Garden Ridge about a year ago, and I picked up a book called Dorm Decor for about $3; it featured all kinds of fun little projects, including this deer bust. When I started planning this room, after establishing my color scheme, the deer bust was the first project I knew I wanted to do. It was really my starting inspiration, from which I worked outward. To me, it really set the tone for the kind of fun I wanted the room to be.

I knew, with Lucy's love of books, that I just had to include a special area for her to indulge. Toys, outside of a very small basket limited to a shelf out of her reach, will be kept in the playroom, but if I ever catch her out of bed to sneak in one more book, I don't think I could possibly be upset because, well, that's a girl after her mama's heart. I'll be featuring the tent and sling in future posts. Even though the tent is supposed to be a Christmas gift, Lucy has already discovered it and loves it.





How could I possibly take it away from her now? I'm thinking we may just set it up by the Christmas tree with some new books wrapped up underneath it. It's still special, and considering she doesn't know any better at this point, I think we can get away with an early gift this year.

Here's a bigger view of the reading corner of the room:




For some reason, the mint that is in the tent fabric just doesn't read in pictures, but I just love it. I'll include some more closeups of the tent and sling in future posts - the sling is a really fun gold and white chevron fabric, and Lucy loves that she has such easy access to some of her favorite books.

And finally, on the other side of the room, one more shot of the dresser that I poured so much love into.


Just a couple more details that need to be taken care of:
  • Once Lucy is big enough, we will replace her crib with a white daybed, which I'm still on the lookout for. I will add some more pillows, but I already have a quilt and sheets set aside. I had a daybed growing up and loved it, so I hope she will too.
  • Again, once she is mature enough, I would like to attach some little buckets with chalk and an eraser to the wall to the left of the bed. I think it would be fun to give her an opportunity to be creative in her room.
  • I'm still working on adding some prettier knobs to Lucy's closet, which is why it hasn't been featured so far, to the left of her dresser.
  • Eventually, I would like to put a much bigger rug down, which should hopefully fill the room more and make it feel a little cozier, not to mention cover the carpet, which I'm not a huge fan of. I'm thinking something like this from IKEA.

For now, it's just nice to take a step back and admire another room in our home feeling complete, full of personality, and cohesive with the mood and design of the rest of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! We love to read your comments on our projects. When you leave a comment it may not post immediately, but don't worry we will see it!